In this paid internship, New York City teens explore art, education, and museum careers, and build their résumés by working with our teaching artists to assist in classes for students of all ages.
Creative Practice teens:
- Meet artists, educators, and Museum staff to see how artistic practices can take many forms and be used to promote social justice and community liberation
- Connect with like-minded teens from across NYC and collaborate on creative projects relating to museum exhibitions
- Get training on how to work with audiences of all ages and abilities
- Discuss topics at the intersection of art, fashion, design, and social justice to make connections between art, ourselves, and our world
- Make art expressing their own interpretation of those topics
- Assist in a Gallery/Studio Program art class, including preparing studios and materials, learning techniques for lesson planning, and practicing classroom management
- Strengthen their communication, collaboration, and organizational skills, and develop a sense of time management and responsibility
Get paid $15 per hour, and work up to 120 hours for the year! Metrocards will be provided for weekend work.
This program is open to all NYC teens, ages 15–19, who are enrolled in high school as a sophomore, junior, or senior as of the fall. The program will take place in person from September 2022 through May 2023.
All Creative Practice teens must be able to commit to the full work schedule:
- Thursdays: select weekly meetings, 5–7 pm
- Weekends: assisting in one art class for three hours each semester, between October 1 and December 11, 2022, and between March 4 to May 14, 2023
- Fridays: occasional teen staff events and field trips, to be determined
How to apply:
Applications are now closed. Please check back in June 2023 for information on the 2023–24 program year.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com. Join our email list to learn more about free arts programming planned by our teen staff, and follow #bkmteens on Facebook and Instagram.
Interested in taking an art class? Our Gallery/Studio Program offers classes for teens ages 14–17, and scholarships are available.