In this paid internship, New York City LGBTQ+ youth ages 14–19 explore gender and sexuality in art through an activist lens, and work collaboratively to organize programs for other queer and trans youth.
Teen staff in InterseXtions:
- Learn about LGBTQ+ social movements and artists working today
- Meet educators, artists, and curators to learn about art and our collections
- Share readings and analyze issues of representation in art and media
- Discuss topics such as feminism, sexuality, and social justice to make connections between art and our world
- Make art expressing their own interpretation of those topics
- Dream up, organize, and promote a free, large-scale event for LGBTQ+ teens and their allies
- Communicate with community organizations and emerging artists and performers
- Build affirming, joyful community spaces for other queer and trans youth
- Strengthen their communication, collaboration, critical thinking, advocacy, and media literacy skills, and develop their sense of time management and responsibility
Get paid $15 per hour. Second-year InterseXtions members serve as leaders in the program and are paid $16 per hour. Work up to 75 hours for the year! Metrocards will be provided to support in-person meetings.
This program is open to all NYC teens, ages 14–19, who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans*, two-spirit, nonbinary, gender nonconforming, questioning, queer, intersex, and/or asexual. The program will take place in person from November 2022 through June 2023.
All InterseXtions members must be able to commit to the full work schedule:
- Tuesdays: Weekly meetings, 5–7 pm
- Fridays and weekends: Occasional teen staff events, field trips, and activities, to be determined
How to apply:
Submit an online application by October 16, 2022.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com. Join our email list to learn more about free arts programming planned by our teen staff, and follow #bkmteens on Facebook and Instagram.
Want to perform at LGBTQ+ Teen Night? Send us a proposal.