In this paid internship, New York City teens immerse themselves in art and art history, and learn about museum education while creating their own lessons for audiences of all ages.
- Meet artists and curators to learn about art and our collections
- Discuss critical topics in the field of museum education, such as working with the public school system and the role of museums in social justice movements
- Connect with education staff and get training on how to teach from artworks, to people of all ages and abilities
- Assist with family programs like F.A.M. (Family Art Magic)
- Develop tours and teach camp groups over the summer
- Learn about education programming in a museum setting, and make connections between art and our world
- Build public speaking, lesson planning, research, and teaching skills
- Strengthen their communication, collaboration, and organizational skills, as well as a sense of time management and responsibility
Get paid $15 per hour. Second-year Museum Apprentices serve as leaders in the program and are paid $16 per hour. Work up to 180 hours for the year! Metrocards will be provided to support weekend and summer work.
This program is open to all NYC high school students, ages 14–19, and will take place in person from December 2022 through August 2023.
All Apprentices must be able to commit to the full work schedule:
December 2022–June 2023:
- Thursdays: Weekly meetings, 5–7 pm
- Fridays: Occasional teen staff events and field trips, to be determined
- Weekends: Occasional family events and pop-up talks, to be determined
- Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays: 9:30 am–4:30 pm
How to apply:
Submit an online application, including one letter of recommendation, by October 2, 2022. Teachers and mentors can submit letters of recommendation online.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Join our email list to learn more about free arts programming planned by our teen staff, and follow #bkmteens on Facebook and Instagram.