On View: Luce Visible Storage and Study Center, 5th Floor
Pickled oak, silver lacquer
36 1/8 x 43 3/8 x 19 1/2 in. (91.8 x 110.1 x 49.5 cm)
Gift of Paul F. Walter in memory of May E. Walter
Simple, rectangular chest of six graduated drawers made of pickled oak carcass, drawer handles, and drawer fronts with silvered finish. Carcass: rectangular form, slight concave curve to front of top; four splayed legs joined with stretchers; lock on proper right side. Six flat-fronted, graduated drawers recessed in carcass; two pickled oak curved rectangular handles mounted onto each drawer front, they are aligned in opposing pairs such that the handles of drawer (1) are mounted on bottom edge and those of drawer (2) on its top edge, giving the appearance of two handles rather than four (this alignment is repeated on drawers 3/4 and 5/6); sets of handles arranged in outwardly slanting lines from top to bottom of chest. Drawer interiors are compartmentalized (described from proper right to proper left in each):
(1) Drawer: lined in gray felt; three narrow compartments, three narrow compartments divided in middle, medium-width compartment divided at middle, wide compartment.
(2) Drawer: wide compartment, two medium-width compartments, one wide compartment divided at middle.
(3) Drawer: five compartments of equal width.
(4) Drawer: three medium width compartments divided at middle, two undivided medium-width compartments.
(5) Drawer: three wide compartments.
(6) Drawer: two wide compartments, one medium-width compartment (2 keys).
Condition: good; various marks from normal wear
Not every record you will find here is complete. More information is available for some works than for others, and some entries have been updated more recently. Records are frequently reviewed and revised, and we welcome
any additional information you might have.