Artist:Utagawa Hiroshige (Ando)
Medium: Woodblock print
Dates:7th month of 1858
Dimensions: Sheet: 14 3/16 x 9 1/4 in. (36 x 23.5 cm) Image: 13 3/8 x 8 3/4 in. (34 x 22.2 cm)
Accession Number: 30.1478.78
Catalogue Description: Along the Teppozu shore are stone jetties, built to protect the area from storms, and in the foreground are fishermen. The large temple in the distance is Nishi Hongagi, originally built in 1617 in Hama-cho but moved to the present location following the Meireki fire of 1657 and given a ten-acre lot in the newly reclaimed area of Tsukiji ("built-up land"). The main hall of the temple was one of the largest buildings in Edo and its location here became a familiar landmark (see prints 2, 21, and 80 of the series), it was known under a number of popular honorific names, such as Tsukiji Gobo or Tsukiji Monzeki. The building was destroyed in a violent storm in 1854 and rebuilding was not completed until 1860. It was probably under construction when this print was published. There is good detail in the fabric printing on the two sails at the bottom of the print.