Artist:Utagawa Hiroshige (Ando)
Medium: Woodblock print
Dates:5th month of 1856
Dimensions: Sheet: 14 3/16 x 9 1/4 in. (36 x 23.5 cm) Image: 13 3/8 x 8 3/4 in. (34 x 22.2 cm)
Accession Number: 30.1478.95
Catalogue Description: This view is situated on the heights of Konodai on an autumn day looking at three figures on a long bluff on the eastern side of the Edogawa River and a view of Mt. Fuji at the right. This cliff served as a regional military center from early times and was the location of the capital of Shimoosa Province in ancient Japan when it was given the name of Kofufu no Dai, "Provincial Capital Bluff," shortened to Konodai. The site was fortified by a series of military barons, finally crushed by the Hojo of Odawara in a battle in 1564. Konodai has been best known for its role in the epic novel by Takizawa Bakin, "Biographies of the Eight Dogs" (1814-1841). The legacy is commemorated today in the name of the public park which occupies the old castle site high on the bluff. The Tone River of the title is the present Edogawa River (see print 71 of the series) and the boats here are bound for Edo by way of the Shinkawa and Onagi Canals (print 70).